Last Updated Monday, 18 August 2014

Taken straight off the Selected Reserve Guidebook, "The Gouge"  Click here for the most recent copy of "The Gouge"
(2004 Navigator CD &  found off of, log-in under private side, CNRF home, What's New, Customer Service)

·        Travel Status: You are on travel status from the time you leave home/work until you arrive at your place of duty and again until you return home.

·     Itinerary: Your travel itinerary, once your request for orders is processed, will be available online at Sabre Virtually There. The link to your itinerary will be e-mailed to you or may be accessed via the New Order Writing System (NROWS) by clicking on the Sailors drop-down menu; and, then, on Current Orders. The itinerary includes information about your flight, rental car, and lodging/berthing.

·        Travel Assistance: A duty counselor is on call 24/7 to assist Naval Reservists who encounter travel emergencies while in a travel status. The toll free number is 1-877-583-8671 (It is listed, also, on page two of each set of orders). For assistance while not in a travel status, you should contact the AT/ADT/IDTT coordinator at your Naval Reserve Activity. For after-hours emergencies, you may also contact the SATO hotline at 1-800-359-9999 for travel assistance. SATO (also known as SatoTravel) is the government travel management firm with information accessible on the Web at

·         Welcome Aboard Packages: These packages are available from most gaining commands and provide information about travel to/from the duty site. Welcome Aboard packages are especially valuable for overseas travel. The information can often be found on the gaining command’s Web site or obtained directly from the gaining command’s point of contact.

·        Travel Requests/Modes: Travel requests are made through NROWS. In the Request for Travel Orders, a Naval Reservist can pre-select preferred arrangements to include departure/arrival selections: start/travel date, (no later than/no earlier than) time, airport, and special instructions (such as seat, row, or meal restrictions). Modes of travel options include:

·         Passenger in a POV: Reservist is traveling as a passenger in a privately owned vehicle.

·         POV Advantageous to Gov.: Reservist travels as driver of a privately owned vehicle (car, plane, or motorcycle) at a cost less than government-arranged travel.

·         POV not Advantageous to Gov.: Reservist travels as driver of a privately owned vehicle (car, plane, or motorcycle) at a cost more than government-arranged travel.

·         Commercial Transportation: Reservist travels by commercial transportation (plane, train, or rental car) as arranged by SATO/gaining command.

  • Government Transportation: Reservist travels by government transportation (car, plane, or bus) as arranged by SATO/gaining command.

·         Tickets: Tickets will be either e-tickets or paper tickets express-mailed to you. Members generally must depart from and return to the airport closest to either their home or their drill site. Contact your NRA for any required changes to your travel itinerary or a modification to your orders. If you have a problem once you are in a travel status, contact Emergency Travel at 1-877-583-8671.

·         Rental Cars: Rental cars must be booked by SATO New Orleans. You must have either a personal or government credit card and a valid drivers license to obtain the vehicle from the rental company. You are encouraged to car-pool with other Naval Reservists while on duty – ensure that other drivers are listed on the rental car agreement.

·         Lodging: If lodging arrangements have been made for you, information will be provided on your itinerary (If a Certificate of Non-availability (CNA) is issued, call 1-800-865-7286 and have your GTCC or a personal credit card available for hotel guarantee arrangements.). With the CNA number, you will be authorized to make your own lodging arrangements and you will be reimbursed up to the per diem rate. Per diem rates can be found at . If Combined Bachelor Quarters (CBQ) or other lodging arrangements appear, you must use those arrangements and will not be reimbursed for any other lodging. If no lodging information appears, call 1-800-865-7286 between 0700-1500 (Monday-Friday) CST for accommodations.

·         Government Travel Charge Card: See Supply section.

·       Travel Claim: Upon completion of your travel, you must file a travel claim (Travel Voucher or Subvoucher, DD Form 1351-2). Your travel claim, original receipts for lodging and expenditures over $75.00, and a copy of your orders need to be submitted to your Naval Reserve Activity (who, then, will submit them to the appropriate PSD) within 5 days of completion of your travel. You may want to contact your Reserve Activity Training Department Authorizing Officer "AO" to ensure package completeness prior to processing or use the SELRES Travel Claim Checklist. It is strongly recommended that you maintain a copy of all travel claims for income tax purposes and in the event you ever need to resubmit a claim for payment. For more detailed instructions on travel claims go to:

·         Reimbursable Expenses: Typical expenses that may be claimed for reimbursement while on travel include: rental car (if authorized), fuel, parking, tolls, transportation to/from airport/lodging, transportation to/from lodging/duty place, ATM fees, international drivers license if required for overseas AT, official calls, and other like charges. Reimbursable expenses are claimed on the official travel claim. Expenses greater than $75 require receipts. You may reference the Joint Federal Travel Regulations at for more information.

·         Per diem: Per diem is calculated as follows: Per Diem Rate = Max Lodging + Meals. Lodging reimbursement is up to the max rate for a specific city or area and requires a receipt. Meals reimbursement is dependent on whether you stay on base and whether government messing is available. For more information on how the meals per diem is calculated, you can view FAQs for Proportional or Government rates. Reference  to determine rates.

·         Overseas Travel: Anti-terrorism training is required for overseas travel (See your AT/ADT/IDTT Coordinator.). As soon as you know you might be traveling outside the United States (OUTUS), contact your NRA for assistance with passport, visa, and other document needs related to your travel. Many times official orders and a military I.D. are all that are required to travel. Guidance about foreign country entry requirements is found in OPNAVINST 4650.11F – and in the Department of Defense Foreign Clearance Guide –

·         Frequent Flyer Miles: The Fiscal Year 2002 National Defense Authorization Act allows travelers on official government orders to accept promotional items, including frequent flyer miles. Government travelers cannot accept special promotional items that are not available to the general public.




Hit Counter

      Webmaster: NC1 Marta Martin
          ©2002-2014 **LINK TO THIS WEBSITE**
          This site is not endorsed by the US Navy or the US Navy Reserve
          New Website Logo created by Marty Kidder of Kidder Corp. (the creator of my poker chips!)